My sister-in-law, her doctor husband, and their daughter are exploring options for relocating in a year or two. I like them. I like their kid. I like the idea that our future kid(s) could hang with their kid(s). We've been talking about the possibility of them moving here.
Now, I've got all kinds of personal reasons for promoting a move to the Twin Cities - good music, good food, good art, good parks, gerg, etc, but I'm looking for some more objective rationale. That said, I'm compiling a somewhat objective roundup of rationale for making a move to MN, in the form of a list of attaboys:
Health and Fitness
- Minneapolis-St. Paul named the healthiest, fittest metropolitan area in the United States by the American College of Sports Medicine
- Minneapolis named Bicycling's Top City by Bicycling.com
- Minnesota named by best trail state by American Trails (biking, equestrian cross-country skiing, off-highway vehicle, water, snowmobile trails, and several thousand hiking trails)
- Minneapolis is the fittest large city in the U.S., according to new rankings from MapMyFitness.
- Named one of the top ten cities for organic eaters to live by Organic Authority.
- Minneapolis was named the third most literate city in the nation last year by the Center for Public Policy and Social Research
- Minneapolis is named one of the top ten smartest cities in America by the Daily Beast
- Minneapolis was named the best city for finding employment by Forbes Magazine
- Minneapolis, St Paul has the best airport food, according to airfarwatchdog
- Minneapolis named top vacation spot by National Geographic Magazine
- Target Field was named the Sports Facility of the Year by Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal
- Minneapolis Named One of 18 'Coolest Cities' in America by Men's Journal
- Minnesota named 'Most Hipster State in the U.S.'
- Minneosta named one of the top 10 friendliest states for physicians by Modern Medicine.
- Rochester (just 1.5 hours away) named one of the 10 best cities of the next decade by Kiplinger
- Four Minnesota hospitals were named among best in nation by Thomson Reuters
[where: Minnesota, Food, Minneapolis, Twin Cities, 55418]