Just Truffles carries about 30 regular flavors of truffles in addition to some seasonal flavors.
In order from left to right, top to bottom:
Just Truffle's fluffy centers aren't dense or fudge-like at all. The centers are light and creamy, and the coating cracks as you bite into the truffle. Also, they're large - 3 or 4 bites per truffle.
- Chocolate Malted: malt powder blended with heavy whipping cream folded into a milk chocolate ganache, dipped in milk chocolate
- Peanut Butter: creamy peanut butter in a white chocolate ganache, dipped in dark chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peanuts
- Passion Fruit: milk chocolate ganache blended with passion fruit puree, dipped in milk chocolate
- Just Chocolate: dark chocolate ganache, dipped and decorated in dark chocolate
- Key Lime: key lime juice from the Florida Keys and white chocolate ganache dipped in white chocolate
- Bailey's: Bailey's Irish Cream blended with a combination of white and milk chocolate ganache, dipped in milk chocolate
- Grand Marnier: orange rind and Grand Marnier in dark chocolate ganache, dipped in dark chocolate
- Raspberry: tart raspberries, raspberry liquor and dark bittersweet chocolate ganache, dipped in white chocolate
I liked the Just Chocolate truffle - dark chocolate ganache dipped and decorated in dark chocolate. The intense shell snapped open cleanly, revealing a milder smooth ganache inside.
Owner and candy-maker Kathleen O’Hehir-Johnson uses all natural ingredients and makes each truffle by hand. They last about 3 days at room temperature, or 30 days in the refrigerator.
I'm a sucker for the 99% truffles at Legacy Chocolates, and I really appreciate Legacy's efforts regarding sustainability. But Just Truffles has a lot of fun flavors, and the bigger size makes does make their truffles a perfect size for sharing.
Evidently, during a performance at the St Paul Civic Center, Luciano Pavarotti was seen wearing a tuxedo accessorized with a gold stretch bow from a box from Just Truffles. Supposedly, he insisted, "I wore it for you," to O'Hehir Johnson, as he kissed her hand. She created the "Tenor's Temptation," a rum-coconut truffle, in his honor.
Sweets made by star-kissed hands!
1363 Grand Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55105
[where: Just Truffles, St. Paul, Minneapolis, Twin Cities, Minnesota]
Just Truffles' Cafe au Lait is my fave, there. They do a great job with the whole "truffle experience," with the cute boxes as well as the huge and pretty truffles themselves.
Legacy, while I love love love their chocolate, falls down on the larger truffle experience, by selling their treats in flimsy little salsa containers. I'm sure chocolate- and sustainability- purists don't mind that so much, as the spared effort and $ goes into the chocolate.
Love the review-I'm overdue for a visit to both shops.
Oh- and Gerg rawks. Killer gift!
Women are so...uhhh..."different".
Guys know that there is no such thing as a multi-bite truffle.
I remember a time when we were eating chocolates - Jen, me and her two brothers. The three guys had eaten about 30 of them when Jen arrived. Jen takes a few bites and said "Hey, they have different colored centers!"...all three guys turned and said "What?" and then each bit one in half to see. Ha!
Arah - To me, it's totally worth a sacrifice in packaging to know that I'm helping to patronize small-scale, sustainable farmers in Latin America. I don't eat a lot of chocolate, but when I purchase it as a gift, I go for organic and fair trade. That said, the Just Truffles were a lovely gift, and it was nice to try something different.
Weierd - I suppose you could fit a whole Just Truffle in your mouth in one bite, but it wouldn't be easy. They're pretty big.
Post a Comment